Friday, November 6, 2009

Frugal Friday?...mmm not so much

Usually I consider myself to be a fairly frugal person. However, Friday was not a typical day for me. See, I have been sick all week and we were out of town last weekend so I had not been to the store in almost a week and a half. Which wouldn't have been so bad since I'm usually pretty good about keeping our house stocked with food, but that was not the case this week. Between my husband eating out almost every night this week and my kids only eating peanut butter and jelly for both lunch and dinner(I love that they are not old enough to ask for the fast food!) Everyone- including myself- was excited for me to hit the grocery store.

Friday was to be THE DAY. I was feeling better, it was gorgeous outside, and the sales looked really good for the week. I loaded up the kids, menu in hand, and I was ready to SHOP. On the way over to the store, our realtor called me wanting to know if someone could come look at our house that evening at 4 o'clock. It was 11:30 and I was about a half hour away from our house. I hadn't started shopping yet and since I had been sick all week our house was a disaster. My response to our real estate agent? "Of course they can!" I called my husband and told him of the plan and needless to say he was less than thrilled about the idea of his pregnant wife who was getting over the flu spending the day frantically cleaning. He decided he could come home early and help, but we still needed cleaning supplies and FOOD.

At the store I became one of those crazy mommies you see from time to time. I was muttering to myself, getting exasperated with my kids, and just throwing things I was pretty sure we needed into the grocery cart. In what was quite possibly the quickest shopping trip for a weeks worth of groceries and cleaning supplies, I awaited my total. I figured it would be around 30 dollars. All of it rang up to about 52 dollars, seven dollars over our weekly budget. To make matters worse when my husband asked that evening what I wanted to do about dinner I was faced with the realization that not only had I gone over our budget, but I hadn't bought actual ingredients to prepare dinner with. I ended making our families favorite Broccoli Cheese Soup- seriously the ONLY thing I had ingredients to make- and Erik ran out and got a rotisserie chicken from the store. Unfortunately, today I have to run back out and get the rest of the stuff I meant to get yesterday. Oh well. I guess there's always next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and I also love responding to them!

Share this!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10