Monday, December 5, 2011

Redeeming Mistakes

The first year of  Jack's life(my oldest baby) was a difficult one for me. I had no experience with babies, and I was terrified of messing him up. As a result of that I didn't really enjoy his baby days like I should have, and I've had to deal with some regrets about how I dealt with being a new mommy.

When I had Anna a year later I was determined not to make the same mistakes I had made with Jack. And yet as much as I enjoyed Anna's baby days, there were many times I'd look at Jack and still feel terribly guilty. I was sure that because of the mistakes I thought I had made, Jack was never going to be bonded with me.

But then a sweet friend came along side of me and encouraged me. She reminded me that every mom makes mistakes, and gently reminded me that I could still redeem any of the mistakes I had made(or thought I had made.) She encouraged me to spend one on one time with him while Anna was sleeping, and to get him as involved as possible with his new sister.

So every morning during Anna's nap I would get down on Jack's level, and we would spend one on one time together. Sure enough within a week any of the fears I had about Jack not being bonded with me were gone. He quickly became a Mama's boy, and even though I still wish I'd known more about what I was doing when he was a baby, I realize all you can do is learn from your mistakes. And thankfully any of the mistakes I might have made with him have been redeemed.

So why am I sharing this story with you all? I just want to encourage you. Any mistakes you feel like you've made can be redeemed. Love covers a multitude of sins, so that even when we do mess up we can go back and try again.

      

3 comments :

  1. I'm right there with you! Thank goodness that grace covers those mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet post! You reminded me that "love covers a multitude of sins." Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had some of the same type of issues with my firstborn and she is now 15 and the most lovely of girls. It seems as moms, we can always find a reason to feel guilty! But if we continually learn from our mistakes, pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, and not let that "mommy guilt" get a foothold in our minds ~ we will be able to see and enjoy all of our many blessings! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and I also love responding to them!

Share this!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10