Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Books I'm Reading

I love to read, and in the last few months I've been devouring books left and right! And thanks to swagbucks I've been able to feed my addiction basically for free! Some of my favorites from the last few months have been;

Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches

Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches, was such a blessing to me! It was written by a mom who has five kids under the age of five, so yes it made me feel better since I'll *only* have four under four(unless I get pregnant again, but I digress:) Part of the reason I bought this book was because it was written by someone who's kids aren't grown yet, so she doesn't only remember the good times. It's only 100 pages, but packed with wisdom. As I was reading I just sat nodding my head in agreement and cracking up at some of her tales.

Already Gone: Why your kids will quit church and what you can do to stop it

I didn't enjoy this book as much as I had hoped. I definitely appreciated(and wholeheartedly agreed) with the main point of the book, which was that the Bible needs to be taught by parents and church leaders for what it is- the Word of God! I think what disappointed me about this book was I had been expecting more of a book on apologetics, and instead it was a book of statistics. Those of you familiar with Ken Ham won't be surprised that his main emphasis is on teaching the book of Genesis accurately. I agree with that too, but I was hoping the book would explain how to teach Genesis. I guess next time I'll do a little more research before I buy a book!

Future Men

I absolutely loved this book! Anyone who has boys and girls knows how different they are. This book was about raising boys to be godly men, and encouraging boys to be masculine. Not in a barbarian sort of way, but in a way that encourages boys to be leaders, providers, and protectors. Traits I think most parents of boys want to instill.

Right now I'm also reading Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God by Voddie Baucham Jr, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm also hoping to get my hands on Large Family Logistics before the new baby arrives because I've heard it's full of practical wisdom in managing a household with several small children. And sometime this summer I'm hoping to read Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus by Elyse Fitzpatrick. I've not read anything by her before, but once again I've heard good things. :)

How about the rest of you? Have you been reading anything interesting lately?

1 comment :

  1. I think we have already talked about Motherhood in the Trenches - Loved it!

    I will have to check into Future Men - sounds good!

    I totally want to read the Fitzpatrick book too!

    I am reading A Praying Life by Paul E. Miller, and Everyday Talk by John Younts. I have just started them both and so far so good!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and I also love responding to them!

Share this!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10