Sunday, April 22, 2012

My Surprise Stuggle

Whew, it has been a rough week around here. One of those weeks where I have felt completely helpless. One of my kids has been having a tough time going to sleep(i.e. screaming for over an hour at bed time and nap time plus waking up in the middle of the night inconsolably crying.) That coupled with the normal issues that come with having small children has been enough to push every button I have!

You know I never thought of myself as someone who really struggled with anger until I had kids. I found it "interesting" the other morning when I sat down to read my Bible that this was the first verse my eyes fell upon:

"Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly." Proverbs 14:29


I remember highlighting that verse years ago, but now it takes on a whole new meaning. How am I responding when my kids don't share their toys? What about when someone throws a tantrum? More times than I care to admit I get angry. I yell and get annoyed about teaching the same lessons over and over again.

And then I feel guilty and condemned because I've messed up yet again.

But you know what? My kids do not need a perfect mom. They need to see me repenting to them when I've messed up, they need to hear me say how much I need Jesus' grace just like they do. I certainly don't want them to think of me as perfect(and after this week, I seriously doubt they do...)

That's not to say I have a free ticket to allow my emotions to control me. But the more I learn to walk in grace, the easier it will be to respond to my children in love and not anger.

P.S. For a hilarious description of what this past week has been like for my hubby and I, check out my hubby's blog!





These Five of Mine








Growing Home


4 comments :

  1. I am on this boat with ya!!!! I've learned the pride squashing art of apologizing. I just get so frustrated and the more angry I get, the more out of control they get. It's been a real struggle for me to react in peace, love, and gentleness but it's so worth it when I do. I'll be praying that you have a better week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an encouragement. I often need to be reminded of this "My kids do not need a perfect mom." Thanks for your vulnerability.
    I linked up for the first time this week.
    Jessie at JessieGunderson.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very true! My greatest growth has come from being blessed with children to raise.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and I also love responding to them!

Share this!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10