Friday, November 13, 2009

The Babies are Sleeping

"I seldom feel like an adventurer- standing in this kitchen, pouring cereal into bowls, refilling them, handing out paper towels when the inevitable cry come, 'Uh oh I spilled.' But sometimes at night the thought will strike me: There are {two} little people here, breathing sweetly in their beds, whose lives are for a moment in our hands. I might as well be at the controls of a moon shot, the mission is so grave and vast." taken from Domestic Affairs

No matter how the day goes with my littles. No matter how often I've grown frustrated with my childrens lack of obedience or felt like screaming because the monotony of my day gets to me. Every night- and I mean every night- before my husband and I go to bed, we sneak into Jack and Anna's bedroom, cover them back up, gently rub their backs, and maybe lean down to give them one last kiss. Nothing warms my mama heart more than seeing my sweet little girl peacefully sleeping sucking contetedly on her hands and seeing my silly son with one arm draped around his beloved stuffed frog and the other one protectively holding his stuffed Mickey Mouse(Yes he has two security objects!)

The quote I posted is so true. Some days it doesn't feel like I'm doing anything significant, in fact most days feel like an endless whirl wind of diaper changes, correction, and peanut butter jelly sandwiches. But when I truly put things in perspective, not only realizing that the time I have with my children is so short, but beginning to get my head around the fact that God has given us these little souls to train up for His Glory, I feel beyond blessed and humbled by this astronomical challenge that has been given to me. When I look back on my life and think about my plans I had back when I first started college, my life now doesn't seem all that important as compared to all the plans I had for myself. However when I remember that my husband and I are solely responsible for these little lives, absolutely nothing could be a greater mission.

Kissing my sweet children's sleepy faces and realizing I've been given the greatest job in the world? That is certainly a finer thing!

For more encouraging posts on the Finer things in Life check out Amy's blog!

2 comments :

  1. I LOVE that quote...and what a great reminder too. Nothing is a better cure for being tired of being the constant corrector than remembering what you just reminded me of. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post. Yes, sleeping children are the picture of peace. Love that after a long day!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and I also love responding to them!

Share this!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10