Thursday, January 2, 2014

Being Joyful

"Look, Mama! There's my favorite word!" My six year old exclaimed as we walked through the aisles in Target.

"Oh, yeah?" I said distractedly as I continued to glance over my list. "What word is your favorite?"

"Joy!" Jack said excitedly as he proudly pointed to a Christmas display in the store.

I smiled to myself, thinking how fitting it was that Jack's favorite word was joy, seeing as how he's typically very sweet, helpful, and yes, joyful most of the time.

Me, not so much. I let the mountains of laundry, the stacks of dishes, and the never ending to do lists overwhelm me. I hurriedly rush through tasks, almost annoyed(ok sometimes very annoyed) that once again the people in this house have dared get another outfit dirty.

There's been a lot of talk around the blog-o sphere over having a "word" as you begin the New Year. I wasn't really planning on giving my year a word since it sounds similar to having New Years resolutions. Almost a set up for failure.

But the more I've thought about it, the more the word joy has been brought to my mind.

Joyful.

Joyful while folding laundry. Joyful while making breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Joyful in the mundane. Joyful when Erik has to work late or be out of town for a couple of days. Joyful during home school. And yes, even joyful when I'm sick, sleep deprived, and hormonal.

Oh, I'll mess up, for sure. But that's where grace comes in to play.

I can think of few things that would bless my family more than the gift of a joyful home. This year, I pray that God will cultivate in me a heart that joyfully serves my family.

    _blank"="" href="http://www.awisewomanbuildsherhome.com">alt="a-wise-woman-builds-her-home" border="0"
src="http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt60/junefuentes/mombutton1med_zpsbce98aed.jpg"
 />

1 comment :

I love reading your comments, and I also love responding to them!

Share this!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10