Friday, October 11, 2013

My Neck of the Woods

A couple of weeks ago I received an email from Kendra Thornton, wanting to know if I'd be willing to write a post about some of my favorite things to do where I live, and if I would share her post about her favorite things to do in her hometown of Chicago. I thought it sounded like a fun post to write, so here are some of my favorite things to do in my "neck of the woods." :)

Photo: Hanging out at the cardinal game:)

We live about 20 minutes outside of St. Louis, so going to see a Cardinals game would be a must. :)

In the area that I live, some of my absolute favorite things to do are walk the nature trails or the many bike trails around here. Our family also really loves visiting the SIUE gardens. It's absolutely beautiful, and they even have a pond full of turtles with a bridge overlooking that the kids get a huge kick out of.


This time of year there's also a ton of pumpkin patches and apple orchards that pop up that are great for taking kids to also.

.
Of course one of my favorite things to do is going out to eat(as much as I enjoy cooking, it's always nice to get a break, right?!) We have some really great local restaurants like the Oriental Spoon and Cleveland Heath.

One of the coolest things about St. Louis is that they have a lot of fun things you can do for free. The art museum, the zoo, and Grant's Farm are all basically free. And of course if you wanted to spend a little money there's always the magic house and the children's museum.

I really love living here, and it sounds like Kendra really loves Chicago, here are some of her favorite things to do up there!

Chicago is my city, and I say this with pride. Chicago is a smorgasbord of activity for tourists and residents alike. It’s big as well as diverse, and it attracts all types of people and businesses. Since Chicago is my home, I have some of my own special favorite places. Take it from me, you won’t want to miss these attractions.
1. Grant Park: Impressive for a Front Yard

Grant Park is sometimes referred to as “Chicago’s Front Yard,” and for good reason. Included within Grant Park are Millennium Park, the Buckingham Fountain, the

and the Museum Campus. The scenery here is absolutely beautiful. You can spend an entire day wandering around, and it is a fun way to introduce your kids to art. And even though it's called Chicago's Front Yard, don't worry; there's no old man demanding that kids stay off his lawn!

2. Lou Mitchell’s: Get Your Milk Duds Here!

A good, old-fashioned diner is the perfect place to grab a meal. Lou Mitchell’s is a historically rich diner with some seriously delicious food. Perhaps more importantly, it’s completely affordable. Eating out in the city can really cost you, but stopping by a diner is a good way to avoid that. To add to it's charm, Lou Mitchell's gives ladies and children Milk Duds to munch on. (Is it any surprise my kids love this place?) Why? Did you know Milk Duds were created in Chicago? The owner of Milk Duds was a friend of “Uncle Lou, and he chose Lou Mitchell’s as a place to eat on many occasions. The Milk Duds tradition honors Lou Mitchell’s unique history.

3. Skokie Northshore Sculpture Park: I Like My Art Outdoors

Skokie Northshore Sculpture Park will give you your fill of contemporary art
. Two miles of walkways are lined with inventive, original sculptures. You can simply stroll around, or you can stop and truly admire the culture. It’s on the east side of McCormick Boulevard, by the north channel of the Chicago River. Stop by on a beautiful day to exercise your body--and your mind!

4. Hotels: Unlike Some Cities, Chicago Does Sleep

Chicago’s skyline is breathtaking, and downtown Chicago has enough to offer something for everyone. The city is gorgeous and full of life, and the glowing city lights at night create a fairytale-like atmosphere. Even if you prefer country scenery, Chicago will delight you. When you’re in Chicago, staying at a hotel in the city really is the best way to go. Gogobot is a site that stays on top of deals offered by Chicago city hotels, in addition to giving you information about where the best hotels are in the city. Make sure you are able to enjoy Chicago and all it has to offer.

Have any of you ever visited St. Louis or Chicago? What were some of your favorite things to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and I also love responding to them!

Share this!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10