Saturday, February 27, 2010

In which I question everything I've been Taught...

Well okay maybe not everything. But one thing in particular struck me this morning as I was trying to feed my kids breakfast. Why are some things considered okay to have for breakfast and other things aren't? I grew up in a family where our breakfasts were generally cereal or toast with coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. In fact, as long as you had coffee, you didn't necessarily need anything else to go with it.( I kid, I kid.) My husband grew up in a family where-gasp- no one drank coffee! I know, I still haven't been able to accept it. He did, however, grow up in a family of soda drinkers. So while I never would've been allowed to drink soda first thing in the morning, coffee was always allowed, encouraged in fact.

All this rambling does have a point. See, since Lily's birth we've been the recipients of meals so I haven't had to cook in almost three weeks. Which means there's been very little grocery shopping. So this morning when Jack and Anna came downstairs I realized we didn't have the typical breakfast foods in the house. Usually I feed them waffles or muffins with some fruit, occasionally cereal, doughnuts(Ok maybe more than occasionally! My two year old has been known to come to the breakfast table in the morning and say, "Mommy, how about a doughnut?"), or toaster streudel. Anna saw some cupcakes(Yes we had cupcakes but no breakfast foods. Our priorities are always in the right place!) on the counter and started saying,"Please!" To which I replied, "No, honey, we don't eat cupcakes for breakfast."

But then I had an Epiphany. Why is it all right to eat doughnuts or streudel for breakfast, but not a cupcake? I would even bet that the nutritional value in a cupcake is probably better than a doughnuts. I know I'm just grasping at straws and trying to justify my actions, but really it makes sense when you think about it that way, right? So tell me am I alone in my giving my children junk for breakfast?

1 comment :

  1. lol! I was thinking almost this same thing the other morning when Kessa wanted candy for breakfast. (granted candy is probably worse than cupcakes..but still...I made her eat her smoothie and THEN gave her candy! lol)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and I also love responding to them!

Share this!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10